Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Linux on the iPhone!

Extra extra! Read all about it! Came across wonderful news on ZDNet:

Hackers (ok lets call them enthusiasts) have successfully managed to boot Linux on the iPhone.


There has always been this tussle between the Cupertino geeks and iPhone Dev Team. They make it, these guys make it better. They remake it these guys reremake it better. (I like humour. I tried. I failed. You get the idea.) Head over the the blog for the download with instructions.

Still far from complete, they basic OS runs. Kudos guys!

Drivers are to be ported, including the ones for the touchscreen. Oh yea the iPhone is completely touchscreen usage :) Check out the video posted here.

Pause for thought. What happens now?
* Android to be ported? (certainly hope so)
* Apple to relase patch? (big Yes!)
* Microsoft to lose ground? (small yes. Remember SE statement about future Xpreria having a dfifferent OS? But it aint over till Balmer comes out with a WM version complete with all the iPhone, Android bells and whisltles.)
* Blackberry: why oh why can't you move to opensource :|

I've already started making my switch to Linux. That's
1. Ubuntu
2. Moto ROKR E1 (must keep away evil thoughts about Touch HD)
3. Freecom Storage Gateway (whohooo! I luv this family member)

What do you think? Any funny ads: I'm a Windows Mobile. I'm an Android. ??

No comments: