Saturday, December 06, 2008

Amazon.com introduces iPhone Photo Matching App

I'm sure everyone would've had the moment 'Oh boy I got to buy me one of those' only forget it an hour later and move on. Enter Mr Bezos with the Amazon.com app for the iPhone.

Well what does it do?
  1. Lets you buy stuff from your phone (how interesting!)
  2. Lets you take a snap that's uploaded to your Amazon.com account (hmmm. Tell me more)
  3. Lets you take a snap and searches for that item online (eh? Really?)

On anohter note I remember reading about an app that scans barcodes and does price comparisons, for Android however. Was for the Android app contest I think.

Amazon Remembers is a really cool feature, but wait its no artificial intelligence (oh absolutely. Technology has advanced, semantic web here we come!) there's a team Mechanical Turk program that does this visual comparison and matching.

My thoughts
  • When is the 'matching' going to be outsourced? :)
  • Can I just walk into a shop take a pic and buy it cheaper online? Dear shopkeeper, will you ban pictures (dare ?I say it iPhones!) in your shop? What the iPhone camera sucks, you say? I hear you!
  • Since nothing good ever happens after 2 am (sorry too much TV shows lately), and I've got my 1-click shopping turned on, how fast can I blow my balance? Every click might turn out to be a purchase!
  • Err.. if its just a picture matching, why did it take so long? We scared of Windows Mobile or Java?
  • Matrimony site, can you find me a girl with similar proportions (or this one, if not spoken for)? (alright, not quite the example. I understand.)

Well good thing the iPhone's damn expensive in India, and boy is the mobile internet fast!

1 comment:

retarded said...

thts a good one, mi lad!! :)