Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Technology and Me

Convergence seems to be latest fad these days. Technology, applications, services you name it. We're living in a wolrd where we work (comfortably) from our homes and shop from our office (not too comfortable though with the cubicles these days). Technology has provided us with a whole new range of possibilities. Even our common everyday gadgets are becoming “thoughtful” (or intelligent, as any technology enthusiast will phrase it!). For example, a new refrigerator introduced by LG is capable of automatically placing orders for “out of stock” items, digitally. And if that makes you wonder where all of this is going, read on.

Wait… if you thought I was going on about how technology is going to help you (and me), well, maybe you are half correct, and if you thought this article was on how technology should not help you, then you are nearly there. I remember one Samsung ad quite a while back that so aptly puts it across- “Technology shouldn’t overwhelm you…” And that sums it all… do we really need all these intelligent (or so they say!) gadgets? Call me a cynic, a pessimist, but hey I wouldn’t want my radio planning the day for me, or my toilet deciding when it needs to flush! Ha! That made you think, didn’t it?

That something between my two ears (and yours too, actually) was not an extra accessory. It was given so that I could plan my life, so that I could take responsibility for my actions, so that I could make mistakes and do stupid things! I want to be able to drive my car, make the wrong turns, and get stuck in the traffic. I want to able get up and change my TV channel, than let a bot read my mind (the geeks claim to able to read your thoughts by sticking little electrodes in your brain. Not a pretty picture, I’m sure.) This is life, my life. It’s not perfect, but believe me, that’s the way world went all these 20 centuries! When I had a problem, I would sit down with my parents and discuss it. And it certainly wouldn’t feel the same with silicon and steel.

And my idea of technological advancements? Take a look around. Aren’t you satisfied with all the little gadgets? I am satisfied, comfortable would be more appropriate. No, I am not saying we should stop discovering and inventing, not now, not ever. Please I live on gadgets and gizmos. All I trying to prove is that we don’t want a “take me to your brain” situation, where we have someone else deciding and making choices for us. (Or do we? That's a thought for another rainy day)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Deepak.
This is an excellent thought provoking piece.And moreover, coming from a techie makes it even more admirable. Surprising combination of Tech+ human thoughts.

Soumya said...

..had read this piece in Indian Express, where this guy had his pocket PC remind him that he had to go for his own suprise birthday party!!!!!

Anonymous said...

nice article anna....i dint kno u can provoke thoughts to tht xtend...good work keep it up....as i dint see ne recent post.....

Shanks_P said...

Great write up buddy ....I like the way u think.

Me and my roomie had a three hour debate about this topic, a week back. Basically the topic was' Does technology make ppl smarter or dumber?'

In US, we find more dumb ppl than in india just because, many pppl here are loosing there instinct because of technology overdrive.

Ppl loose the nack of rembering the route, U have the baby doll GPRS guiding you, Ppl loose the sharpness in basic arithematic, because money is plastic and u hardly sum up or balance out ..... the list goes on and on ....

How do we make sure we strike the rite balance of brain power and technology ?